Saturday 26 December 2015

Book review: Frozen Tides by Morgan Rhodes

Book: Frozen Tides
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Series: Falling Kingdoms, #4
Publisher: Razorbill

 Blurb:


The plans are laid and the players are determined...but nothing can prepare these unlikely warriors for what the elemental gods of Mytica have in store.  CLEO: Reeling after a shocking realization about Magnus, Princess Cleo must cast aside her feelings and look toward her kingdom with the eyes of a queen. MAGNUS: The steely prince of Limeros is once again torn between love and duty, leaving him wondering whether he's strong enough to rule his people. LUCIA: Heartbroken and blind with fury, the betrayed sorceress allies with the awoken Fire god, who also seeks revenge.  JONAS: The defeated rebel leader reunites with Princess Cleo, only to become a pawn in the dangerous hunt for the elusive Kindred.  KING GAIUS: A desperate King of Blood flees Mytica and sails to Kraeshia, where he attempts to ally with the famously brutal emperor across the Silver Sea.






"The world is tragically flawed, little sorceress. Even in our short time together we've seen countless examples of this-men and women obsessed with their own little lives, their greed, their lust, their vanity, every weakness compounding on the next."
"Mortals are weak-that's what makes them mortals. But they're also strong, resilient during crises that test their faith or threaten the people and things they love. There's no such thing as perfection, Kyan."

This series is giving me whiplash. I am not being over-dramatic (maybe I am, though, just a tad), but don't you think I am right with all the twists and everything?

Right? Right. 



Frozen Tides starts immediately after the ending of Gathering Darkness and follows the story of a few more characters this time than the typical four, with the addition of Felix and Amara as POV characters. And to be honest, I am glad we had those additions, even if I want to bitch-slap Amara after everything that happened.

Ships sailed, ships sank and once again I have no idea if any possible ship in this series is safe and destined to make it until the end. I think one might be, but you never know.

My advice to you: don't place your hopes on the romance.

Romance aside, the plot is getting thicker and more serious, after everything that has happened. Storylines crossed and finally we get a bunch of main characters stay together on the same place and don't follow everyone around doing their own thing. After the ending of this book, we have two main storylines and, to tell you the truth, I am far more interested in the magical one, because I've been more curious about the supernatural aspect than the politics from the beginning. (And remember, I've washed my hands off the romance here, I lost hope.)

Concerning the characters I have a variety of feelings. I still love Magnus (who doesn't?), I still want Lucia to kick magical ass (I can see you rolling your eyes at me because you think Lucia is naive and superficial but I care not for your preferences right now), I still think Jonas is an idiot and Nic a pain in the arse, but I loved Felix, was on the fence about Amara having now crossed to the hate-side and surprisingly now I tolerate Cleo. I know the majority of you love her and good for you, but for me she really had to work it because I found her decisions far too childish and her self-centered in the beginning but by the end of this book she changed in my eyes.

And I can see all of you, Magneo shippers after that re-union being like:



Am I wrong? Even I mentally screamed "FINALLY" at that part.

Now, reaching the end of this review, let me tell you my expectations for the next book.

I expect at least a big battle, a couple of deaths (probably of main characters), many doomed ships, MAGIC (I want magic a lot in the next, PLEASE?) and a big comeback?

Will I get any of this?

Probably the deaths.


Rating for Frozen Tides:

No comments:

Post a Comment